mE: a life in progress


javascript:void(0)

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Freedom Means to Me... and the little ones.

For the English Society Closing Social tonight, we read and judged public school entries for Provo's Freedom Festival Essay Contest, based on the perennial theme of "American Values: Family, Freedom, God, and Country." Which is about as broad as a contest prompt can be. Gotta start synthesis training early, I guess. We had a grand old time eating pizza and looking through the essays to score them. My category of judging was the 4-6 grade level. Here are just a few excerpts from the best of the the best, in all their astute, ambiguous, didactic, and totally "wha--?" glory...

"How cool is it that I can say my grandfather is one of the people who gave me my freedom. Proud. That is what everyone I know says. We are proud to be Americans."

"About 200 years ago, many African-Americans were slaves. They all went through tough times by being punished for not doing their job, not listening to their masters, reading and writing, the possibilities are endless."

"Policemen guard the roads, stop people from speeding, stop thieves, and protect us. Doctors heal us, help us, save us, and help us survive. America is the best place I could ever dream of living."

"If you're upset with your family, don't be. They are the only family you've got. Love and care for them. They're the best."

"My country is so cool. We are free, smart, and much more. We were the first ones to the moon, we invented tons of things and we can be so proud of so many things we do."

"We have medicine for pets and other objects."

"There are so many things that need an explanation that science won't suffice for. God is that explanation."

"The Constitution gives us rights... No other country can say that and really mean it."

"America is a land of values. We value many things that mixed with other personal values, can brighten a life. Many countries do not possess these values, such as East Germany, parts of China, and other countries around the world."

"America is the greatest place in the history of the world."

"Peace comes from minding your own business."


Ain't that great? My favorite is the third from last. I'm guessing this contestant used a pre-1989 encyclopedia to conduct his research. But anyways. Ya. America is great. Even though I am getting incredibly antsy to see beyond its borders, I'm grateful for my freedom. My freedom which allows me to go to school, and study Shakespeare, and write papers for my Shakespeare teacher, 10-page papers which have deadlines, one of which is due Monday and not started, which I must attend to now. Hasta!

4 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I am sooo glad you wrote all of these down. Seriously, they are still just as funny now, if not more so! That was so so fun tonight, I'm so glad I went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is "Peace comes from minding your own business." oh how true...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that! How did you get involved with that? Cool banner by-the-way.

    ReplyDelete