mE: a life in progress


javascript:void(0)

Monday, March 1, 2010

In the Beginning was the Word....

Word.

So... This is my first blog and my first blog post. I'm treading into uncharted territory here. How do you handle such a vast expanse? There are so many places I could go, and not go. Where are the limits? Obviously there are none. Anything goes that can be contained by the text. Should I give myself rules for what I will write or how I will write it? I don't know.

Pardon all the questions. I should address them in private to myself, and not to my audience. But why not address them here? Is this blog for me, or for other people? Is it first for me and then for you as readers? How honest dare I be? This isn't just an online journal. How much of my soul can the words carry? Is it my soul I want to impart? That seems dangerous. But what's life without risk?

Some people will limit their blogs to certain topics. That seems practical, but kind of reductive. I want to think of this blog as a blank slate, dream catcher for my mind. A room of one's own, but with room for unexpected. How do we know?

I guess that comes later. Too much Joni Mitchell, probably. Makes me go all meta.

The making of a blog has been in the works for a long time. But today was really springy and it feels like an auspicious time to start something new. (I've always thought they should start the new year when the weather can help to bolster people's spirits and resolutions. ) Something great is coming. I can feel it-- don't make fun of me now. (And I have no idea who will read this-- stop Em.)

So here's a new resolution: not blog... write. Right. I don't know what's going to happen, so I guess I just follow my feet.

Theodore Roethke wrote once that "we learn by going where we need to go."

I kinda like that.

Most religions endow language(Christianity) or the utensil of writing(Islam)with the primal creative power. Man speaks Language. Language Speaks Man.

So with those words, I do now dedicate this blog to the use of for me for the purposes of whatever I feel like writing/thinking/speaking about. May we have a happy existence together (my blog and I). What else can I say?

The Beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Great opening post. Evocative of Calvin and Hobbes white page philosophy. Sorry I comment on such an old post, but all your posts are old.

    ReplyDelete